Monday, September 19, 2011

Random Updates!

I was put on a “chicken committee” meaning I got to collect chickens from learners when they returned to school. I had to chop the bottom of the chickens’ wings and tails off with a machete to restrict their flight. I will eventually get to slaughter and de-feather the chickens later this month in preparation of our school bazaar. Apologizes to my vegetarian friends.

I had a roommate for two short months: another American, her name was Zoe. It was extremely comforting to have someone else in the house with me and it was nice her name is harder for the Namibians to pronounce than my own lol.

I gained weight from the fatty goat meat I’ve been eating.

I have learned to make my own bread! An exciting feat.

I had a combined birthday party with 3 other volunteers. An admirer put a $N1,000 bar tab down for me. We had matching birthday shirts made for us. My volunteer friends are now Okalongo celebrities.

I have started a scholarship competition amongst the grade 8, 9, and 11. There will be two winners and their tuitions will be paid in full for next year.

I have started a photography business for the learners, which they love. They even have costume changes in between takes.

I had a few driving lessons (manual and on the other side of the road) eek!

Zoe and I cooked the learners tacos(!) and pizza and they surprisingly loved both (next meal will be chinese food). Coming from a village where lettuce is considered “city” food, tacos was a huge success.

Since Zoe has left, the learners visit me daily because they are afraid that I am lonely. It’s adorable.

I taught a few learners how to play Uno and Kemps, so fun.

I have a gang of small children that visit me multiple times a day looking for ice (popsicles) and schweets (suckers). They can not speak very much English and I can not speak very much Oshiwambo but we are the best of friends.

I was counted in the Namibia 2011 census!

I chaperoned a debate competition (very educational)

I was voted as one of the “Coolest Teachers at Haudano” noted in the Haudano newspaper

I was a guest judge at the Miss Haudano beauty pageant

No comments:

Post a Comment