Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The First Goodbyes

As my days in Namibia are dwindling down, I have been reflecting alot on my experience here. My blog has nothing to show for the aspirations I had for it. Since I am reaching the end of my time here, I think it will be okay to reveal the truth. Back in term 1, someone from the Ministry of Education found my blog through the internet, through facebook? I am not exactly sure. The first time I met him, he immediately said, “So you are the one who has been complaining” even before exchanging names. I said, “Excuse me?” He then told my Principal about what he had found on the internet and it was strongly suggested that I stop writing my blog or censor it. I asked what in the world I had been complaining about and the answer I received was “curtains.” If you go through my blog the only post that mentions curtains is the first post and I was not necessarily complaining about it, just stating that kids were looking in through my windows. I think writing about it was justified because it was a violation of privacy especially since it was my first week here. Well long story short, that is why I took a hiatus. I was afraid I was going to be fired or something; the Inspector was not all too nice to me. Ironically, in the end, I found out that it was not my blog whom he was referring to but had mistaken it for another volunteer’s in my region. I know in a few years I will probably regret not writing as often as I should have, but no worries I did keep a journal. Soon enough, I will be able to share all of these stories with you in person and will not have to censor at all ;)

At the end of the week, I will have to say my first goodbyes. The Grade 10’s and 12’s will be finished with their exams and will leave school for holiday. Although, I did not teach the Grade 12’s and only taught the 10’s BIS, I am going to miss them. They annoy me most of the time, but I am going to miss the constant questions, the constant favors, and the constant language barriers lol. They really are silly, good-hearted group of kids. They have started asking me for their “unforgettables” a.k.a. things of mine they want. Many of them have already claimed personal items of mine like water bottles, earrings, or photos hanging on my wall. (P.S. I am not in most of the photos on my wall. They are mostly of family and friends sans Bridget, but they do not care they just want photos of Americans. Their fascination with pictures amazes me. Although they have never met you, they will hang that picture proudly on their walls for years to come and tell people that they once knew an American.) I hope, pray, and wish that these kids will pass their exams and continue onto UNam or Polytechnic, but sadly most of them will not. I blame this largely on the education system here.

My colleagues and learners alike have started laying the guilt on thick. They take many approaches to this guilt trip. Some of them like to act sad like they are going to cry and tell me they love me and I can not go because they will miss me too much. Others inform me that my contract is for 2 years, not for one. My learners like to tell me they will fail next year if I do not stay and that everything I have taught them will be lost. They like to tell me that no one in my country will miss me and I have nothing to go back for. Some plot ways to get on the plane with me. This is mostly my colleagues and men in the community who claim they are going to marry me or hide in my suitcases.
I hate goodbyes ;(....

No comments:

Post a Comment